Nook Treasure Hunt: Show Me Your Nook!
Back before I was published, I would turn the last page of my favorite books with the fierce yearning that one day my stories might make other readers feel as deeply as these authors made me feel. Fantasy, mystery, romance…the genre doesn’t so much matter to me. It’s all about the feeling, and about giving people a place to go outside their own world.
Right now, for so many, many reasons, we all need that escape. So along with a selection of other authors–all traditionally published, but all now with the option to present our fiction our own way–I’m offering a gift to readers.
The authors playing this game believe that if we want a thriving book community, we need lots of options. We need print, we need ebook, we need choice. Over at Backlist eBooks, that’s exactly why we provide links to all of a book’s available retailers–including Book View Cafe, to which many of the participating treasure hunt authors belong.
But while there are a lot of book promotions out in the big wide Internets, not many of them are for Nook devices (as we Nook owners don’t need to be told!).
Today, we remedy that. Until December 31st, we’re offering a meme game to those who would like a little bit of fun–and to earn free EPUB (the Nook format) books for playing. (Although *cough* DRM-free EPUB files can readily be converted to MOBI for the Kindle. Like I said, we’re all about choice!)
It’s easy to play! Just show me a picture of you–or your four-footed friend–with a NOOK! It doesn’t have to be your Nook, if you’ve a hankering for the book. 8)
(Keep it clean, people…no confusing “Nook” with “Nookie!”)
You can post your photo on my FaceBook Author Page. You may have to “Like” the page, but that only takes a moment.
As soon as I see the picture (this could take minutes or an entire day), I’ll send a message to your Facebook account with the URL for a free download of Barrenlands, the first book of the Changespell Saga.
Before there was Dun Lady’s Jess…
Magic, betrayal, and a twice-cursed exile–only one man’s determination can untangle the deadly intrigue that binds them together.
When Ehren’s sovereign and friend was killed, Ehren, First of the King’s Guard, was far away — sent on a wild goose chase by the First Level Ministry, whose number he now believes must contain at least one traitor.
When a First Level wizard orders him to stop searching for the assassins and instead to find and neutralize the dead king’s distant family, his suspicions deepen to near certainty.
And Ehren is determined to find those exiles – if only so that he may guard them with his life.
This link is a gift to you in Nookish solidarity, but isn’t meant to be shared. It’s all about playing the game, right?
Also, if you’re a cross-genre reader like me, the treasure hunt goes on! The following authors are also playing Show Me Your Nook–although the logistics may vary a bit.
- Cat Kimbriel: Fires of Nuala (Science Fiction) FaceBook & LiveJournal
- Jeffrey A. Carver: Eternity’s End (Science Fiction) FaceBook
- Phyllis Irene Radford: Guardian of the Balance, Merlin’s Descendants #1 (Fantasy) FaceBook & LiveJournal
- Mark Chisnell: The Defector (Thriller) FaceBook
- Brenda Hiatt: Lord Dearborn’s Destiny (traditional Regency romance) FaceBook
- Phoebe Matthews: Demonspell (contemporary fantasy) Web Site
- Lorraine Bartlett: Cold Case (Mystery) Blog
- Ruth Harris: Modern Women (Fiction/Chick Lit) Blog
- Jennifer Stevenson: King of Hearts (romantic comedy) Web Site & FaceBook
- Vonda N. McIntyre: Starfarers, Book One of the Starfarers Quartet (Science Fiction) Book View Cafe
- Lise McClendon: All Your Pretty Dreams (Adult Fiction) FaceBook
- Melanie Jackson: Moving Violation, Book 1 of the Chloe Boston Mysteries (Mystery) FaceBook
And in case you’re wondering, this is how to sideload an EPUB file into your NOOK:
1) Download the epub file to your computer.
2) Attach your NOOK to the computer with its USB cable.
3) A “Nook” drive will appear in My Computer (PC) or Desktop (Mac).
4) Copy and Paste, or Drag and Drop downloaded EPUB (or even PDF!) files into the My Documents folder on the Nook drive.
5) Go to My Library on the Nook, hit View My Documents, and then hit Check for New Content.
6) Choose one of the files you sideloaded into My Documents and press Select to open it.
You can also read EPUB on other devices! It’s a widely-used format with great convenience.
Be an explorer. Show me your NOOK!
Obligatory disclaimer: All copyright to this free book is retained by the author. You may share this post in its entirety. All pictures to my FaceBook page must be posted by 11:59 PM, December 31, 2012, MST. If anyone posts this EPUB to a torrent site, the URL goes 404 and we won’t have any more games. This is a gift to those who play the game, not an invitation to set the book free forever. If you post a picture that would be considered in bad taste, it will be deleted and you won’t get a coupon code. Thank you for keeping things fun!